Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Let's Get Started

Okay...

I know you’re anxious to put the brush to the canvas, but before you do you have to decide your subject matter. People often say to me “I don’t know what to draw”. Well, dummy, go outside and look around. If that’s too much then stay in the house and look around. What you’re looking for is something simple, maybe a fancy vase, or even your window. You can make a still life out of ordinary kitchen utensils. I did a still life once years ago of a beer stein with my dad’s Kaywoodie smoking pipe alongside the mug. I did it in Marabu temperas. Really came out nice. At the moment I can’t show it because it’s somewhere buried in my daughter’s basement. She promised me that she would find it and that I could have it back for copying. So, when that happens I’ll post it on this blog.

Anyway, simplicity is the best. Some people will go directly to the canvas with their brush and “draw” the subject while painting it. That’s good if you have good drawing skills. I would suggest you draw it first on paper either with a #2 pencil or HB softness, or conte crayon. Drawing it first like this will give you a “feel” for your subject and help you better see it when you’re painting it.

I mentioned drawing skills above. We should touch on this subject in a subsequent post. I will mention this important fact first: a teacher of mine once said “before you can abstract your subject you must first know how to draw it. You need to know how it is “constructed” so that when you re-created it, it doesn’t fall apart”.

You’ll need some tools to help you. First thing is a drawing board, or a lap-board. Most drawing pads come with a stiff backing, but that is not sufficent enought to withstand even the slightest pressure from your drawing utencil. You can pick these up in any art store. Or you can purchase a piece of board from your local lumber yard. Size? Somewhere in the range of 18” x 24” should do just fine.

If you’re a beginner at this you’ll probably want to explore the various media at hand for drawing, like different softness or hardness of pencils, or Conte crayon, and most anything else that can make a mark. I would however, stay away from felt markers for the moment. They are a permanent ink and difficult to sketch with. Later on you can experiment with them for various effects.

In the beginning of your drawing pursuit a newsprint pad would be more than adequate for your purposes. The strathmores and bristols are for more finished products. For now you should be only attempting initial sketches.

Okay. I think I’ve whetted your appetite enough to get you started on your very rewarding journey. If you gather up the various items mentioned in this post, by the time you’ve finished your preliminary sketch of whatever you decide to “memorialize”, you will be ready to read my next post.

If you have any questions, please feel free to leave it in the comments area.

Thank you for listening.
--Adam
===========================

No comments:

Post a Comment