Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Conte Crayon & Conte Pencil

Hello Folks,


I apologize for not writing sooner, but my computer has been to the "hospital" to get a tune-up. The Registry had been hijacked several months ago when we fell victim to ID theft. Unbeknownst to us at the time, whoever did the nasty to us left their calling card in the form of replicating their means of continually hijacking pertinent information, like passwords, etc.
So, if your PC is in need of a tune-up, I suggest very highly "mycleanPC.com"

Okay, we’re back online now, and you want to know what I know about other drawing media.

Next to pencil, I like the Conte crayon or the Conte pencil. Why? Because the blacks are black, if you know what I mean. Conte also makes their drawing media in white and also terra-cotta. A combination of all three colors make for interesting drawings.

Some time ago I did a drawing of an old pair of shoes, boots actually, using those three colors. A friend of mine liked it so much he bought it and gave it to his brother who was remodeling his basement. When the brother saw the drawing he then changed his entire scheme of the basement and began to remodel it around the theme of the shoes. Would you believe? I wish I had access to that drawing today so I could photo it and show it to you. Maybe even get a giclee reproduction of it, too.


Getting back to our topic today. If you’re going to use the crayon, they come in short square "sticks". You can use them as is, but I like to sharpen one end to a long point, using a single-edge razor blade. Nice things happen when you hold the crayon in the palm of your hand and control it with your thumb and forefinger. This way you can roll it while making a line, and nice things happen accidentally to that line. It also helps to keep the point sharp by rolling it. Go ahead, try it. You’d be surprised how this little technique can turn you into a master artist. Admitedly, you’ll have to practice at it like you would anything.

The Conte pencil can be used in the same way, although it can be held like a conventional pencil as well and still get excellent results. I think you’ll have more control over it than with the crayon. But, again, it all has to do with the "effect" you’re looking for. Both techniques are equally deserving of good results.

Here’s an example of Conte crayon. It’s one I did in school many moons ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment